Presidential Scholarships are awarded competitively to outstanding incoming freshmen from Oregon. Approximately 50 freshmen receive this scholarship each year, and the awarding process is highly selective. Presidential Scholarships are made possible by the generous contributions of donors to the University of Oregon scholarship fund.
- Oregon residents who graduate from an Oregon high school
- Incoming domestic freshmen
- A minimum 3.85 cumulative high school grade point average on a 4.00 scale
- A minimum 1300 SAT or 28 ACT
- A significant, demonstrated history of leadership and volunteer service activities
How to Apply
- Apply for fall term admission to the University of Oregon by January 15.
- Complete the online Presidential Scholarship Application by February 1.
- Submit your high school transcripts and standardized test scores to the Admissions Office by February 15.
Presidential Scholarship selection is highly competitive. The following, as shown on the scholarship application or in supporting materials, are considered as part of selection:
- Academic preparation
- Test scores
- Activities and talents
- Volunteer service
- Work experience
- Four short-answer essay questions:
1) In addition to being excellent students, Presidential Scholars are outstanding campus leaders. Please tell us about your most significant leadership experience and how it has prepared you for college-level leadership.
2) Presidential Scholars are known for their volunteerism. To date, which of your community service experiences has been most meaningful to you and why? How does volunteering fit into your future plans?
3) Please tell us how innovation and perseverance have played a role in your success, either in academics or extracurricular activities.
4) Please share an activity in which you flourish. Why do you think this is so?
Recipients of Presidential Scholarships will be notified by April 1.
Presidential Scholarships are renewed annually for up to 12 terms of undergraduate study over five years (excluding summer terms). For renewal, recipients must
- Be enrolled in and complete a minimum of 12 UO credits per term
- Maintain a 3.25 UO grade point average