Diversity Excellence Scholarship
This application is only for current UO Students, Incoming Freshmen who plan to begin Fall 2019, all Graduate and all Law students. If you are an Undergraduate Transfer student, do not submit this application – the DES Transfer Scholarship Application is here: https://uoregon.academicworks.com/opportunities/2031
The Diversity Excellence Scholarship (DES) recognizes the academic achievement and potential of students who, through sharing their varied cultural perspectives, will enhance the excellence of the University. The University of Oregon offers these scholarships as part of our diversity mission.
Annual award amounts are $6,500 for undergraduate students and $9,000 for graduate students. The scholarship is renewable with the length of eligibility based on the recipient’s grade level at the time of awarding. The DES cannot be combined with some tuition-remission programs such as the Presidential Scholarship, University of Oregon staff tuition rates or Graduate Teaching Fellowships. It may be combined, however, with the Summit or Apex Scholarships if that has been awarded as part of the admission process.
- Apply for admission by January 15 (incoming students) OR be a currently enrolled UO student.
- Only domestic students are eligible to receive the Diversity Excellence Scholarship (international students may not receive this particular scholarship)
- Have financial need as defined by federal and state guidelines
- Meet the DES minimum GPA requirements. All applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or greater to be considered.
How to Apply
Submit the online Diversity Excellence Scholarship Application by February 1.
In addition to the online application, all applicants must complete the following to receive review:
- An online reference written by a school official, teacher, member of a community organization, or employer submitted no later than February 1.
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) submitted to the federal processor no later than February 1. List the UO as one of your school choices (school code: 003223). ◦Note: If you are an undocumented student residing in the state of Oregon you may be eligible to complete the ORSAA, which is an alternative to the FAFSA. Please visit the website for Oregon’s Office of Student Access and Completion at https://oregonstudentaid.gov/fafsa-orsaa.aspx for more about which financial aid application is right for you. File the ORSAA by February 1 to meet the DES deadline.)
- If you are an incoming freshman, transfer student, new graduate applicant, or a new law applicant you are also required to submit the following:
- An application for admission to the University of Oregon submitted by January 15.
- Official Transcripts must be received by the Office of Admissions by February 15 (incoming graduate students will need to provide transcripts to the Office of Admissions even if they have already supplied them to their academic department)
Scholarship recipients are selected by the Diversity Excellence Scholarship selection committee based on the following:
- Past academic performance
- Participation in campus or community activities
- Preference given to students from underrepresented racial/ethnic minorities
- Preference given to students with financial need as defined by federal guidelines
- Preference given to first generation of the family to attend college
- Preference given to Oregon residents
To maintain scholarship eligibility, you must:
- Maintain full-time student status
- Maintain a minimum 3.00 UO GPA
- Make satisfactory progress toward completion of a degree
- Meet regularly with a scholarship advisor
Freshman recipients will be notified by April 1. Non freshman recipients will be notified by April 30.