Special "Opps" Travel & Research Awards
Please refer to the Graduate School website for the most up-to-date information on this award in light of the COVID-19 situation.
Wednesday of Week 8 of each term at 1pm
The purpose of the Special “Opps” Travel and Research Award is to help graduate students take advantage of special opportunities to advance or present their research. Competitive applications will be accepted for opportunities that are out of the ordinary—beyond the usual annual conference presentation.
The awards can be used for registration fees, travel (domestic or international), lodging, or very specific research expenses.
When completing the application, the student should identify one of the following categories and indicate why this opportunity is special.
- Attend a specialized conference or meeting on a topic closely related to the student’s research to which the student has been invited or otherwise encouraged to attend.
- Travel to participate in a significant professional development activity.
- Travel to take part in a time- or context-limited research opportunity with the potential for high impact on the graduate student’s field and personal career trajectory.
- Wild Card. Tell us about a great travel, research, or professional development opportunity you have been presented with and we will consider it.
- Up to $500 for domestic travel
- Number awarded will be limited by available funds
- Funds will be transferred to your department who will be responsible for administering the travel and disbursing the funds
Eligibility and Criteria
- Students must have completed at least one full term and be in good academic standing
- The proposal must be supported by the department chair and the graduate student’s advisor. Department chair and graduate advisor are requested not to sponsor students who could be supported by other sources such as sponsored research grants and contracts.
- Submissions will be judged using the Special Opps Travel and Research Grant rubric (see gradschool.uoregon.edu/sites/gradschool1.uoregon.edu/files/special_opps_travel_and_research_grant_rubric.pdf).