Diversity Excellence Scholarship
The Diversity Excellence Scholarship (DES) recognizes the academic achievement and potential of students who, through sharing their varied cultural perspectives, will enhance the excellence of the University. The University of Oregon offers these scholarships as part of our diversity mission.
Annual award amounts for 2017-18 were $6,500 for undergraduate students and $9,000 for graduate students. The scholarship is renewable with the length of eligibility based on the recipient’s grade level at the time of awarding. The DES cannot be combined with some tuition-remission programs such as the Presidential Scholarship, University of Oregon staff tuition rates or Graduate Teaching Fellowships.
- Apply for admission by January 15, 2018 (incoming students) OR be a currently enrolled UO student. Only domestic students are eligible to receive the Diversity Excellence Scholarship; international students may not receive the DES.
- Submit the 2018-19 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the federal processor no later than February 1, 2018. List the UO as one of your choices. The school code is 003223.
- Meet the DES minimum GPA requirements. All applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or greater to be considered.
How to Apply
Submit the online Diversity Excellence Scholarship Application by January 24, 2018.
In addition to the online application, all applicants must complete the following to receive full review:
- An online reference written by a school official, teacher, member of a community organization, or employer submitted no later than January 29, 2018.
FAFSA submitted to the federal processor no later than February 1, 2018. List the UO as one of your school choices (school code: 003223).
- If you are an incoming freshman, transfer student, new graduate applicant, or a new law applicant you are also required to submit the following:
- An application for admission to the University of Oregon submitted by January 15, 2018.
- Official Transcripts must be received by the Office of Admissions by February 15, 2018. (Incoming graduate students will need to provide transcripts to the Office of Admissions even if they have already supplied them to their academic department)
Scholarship recipients are selected by the Diversity Excellence Scholarship selection committee based on the following:
- Past academic performance
- Participation in campus or community activities
- Preference given to students from underrepresented racial/ethnic minorities
- Preference given to students with financial need as defined by federal guidelines
- Preference given to first generation of the family to attend college
- Preference given to Oregon residents
To maintain scholarship eligibility, you must:
- Maintain full-time student status
- Maintain a minimum 3.00 UO GPA
- Make satisfactory progress toward completion of a degree
- Meet regularly with a scholarship advisor
Freshman recipients will be notified by April 1. Non freshman recipients will be notified by late April.